Part of my recovery from depression is learning to say no. This week my therapist sent me home with an assignment–make a list of 20 ways to say no. What does this have to do with a preconception blog? In addition to preparing your body to conceive, it’s important to create space in your life for a baby. Do you expect to shove an extra human between a full-time job, housework, socializing, and whatever else you’ve managed to pour into your schedule? I didn’t think so.
Say it with me now…
- I don’t have time to do that.
- I have a prior commitment.
- I have to wash my hair tonight.
- Thanks, but no thanks.
- My schedule is already full.
- I don’t have the energy for that right now.
- My fertile phase is coming up, so I’ll be busy trying for a baby.
- I’m not the best person for that job.
- My family needs me.
- I’m overextended at the moment.
- That’s not part of my recovery plan.
- I need some me time.
- Why don’t you ask Billy Bob to do that instead?
- Now’s not a good time.
- I’m not feeling up to it.
- I don’t think that’s a good idea.
- I can’t help.
- Absolutely not.
- No way.
What’s your favorite way to say no?